Sikorsky H-34 Choctaw
Adopted in 1954, the H-34 Choctaw was one of the most widely-used choppers of the Vietnam War prior to introduction of the Huey, with over 1,800 produced. The H-34 was originally used by the Navy and Coast Guard under the name “Seabat,” but the US Army, true to form, redubbed the H-34 the “Choctaw” upon its widespread adoption. The Choctaw was among the first of many helicopters which attempted to fulfill the role of a gunship, with several H-34s (dubbed “Stingers”) fitted with a pair of general purpose machine guns and two sets of 19 rocket pods. The Choctaw was the last of the piston-engined aircraft to serve in Vietnam, a design which was essentially outmoded by the introduction of turbine-engined choppers in the 1960s. All of the Choctaws still serving in Vietnam by 1973 were handed over to the South Vietnamese government following the US withdrawal from the war.
 Military Factory. Sikorsky “H-34 / CH-34 Choctaw,” accessed December 2, 2018.